Help Centre

Who needs an EIN number?

You will need an EIN if you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions.

  • Do you have employees?
  • Do you operate your business as a corporation (like a C corporation or a S corporation)  or a partnership (both general and limited partnerships)?
  • Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?
  • Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien?
  • Do you have a Keogh pension plan?
  • Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

Trusts (except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs and exempt Organization Business)

Income Tax Returns


Real estate mortgage investment conduits

Non-profit organizations

Farmers' cooperatives

Plan administrators

The only kind of business that isn’t required to have an EIN number is one that’s structured as a sole proprietorship with no employees.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.