Help Centre

Can I claim for eye tests and glasses?

According to HMRC there are no reporting requirements (tax or NI to pay as benefits in kind)  on provisions of:

"Eye tests required by health and safety legislation for employees who are required to use a computer screen or other VDU.

Glasses or contact lenses that you're obliged to provide because an eye test required by health and safety legislation shows them to be necessary for VDU work – as long as the glasses or lenses are only used for VDU work."

Therefore eye tests should be able to be claimed for, but glasses can only be claimed for so long as they are not needed for general use as well as for use when working.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.